BROWSE by CATEGORY

BRANDING & DESIGN

THE KLCO SHOP

NEWS & EVENTS

TUTORIALS

My Book List for 2018

December 30, 2017

So I have both an addiction and a problem. Let’s start with the addiction: self-help and motivational books. I could never have enough of them. Now for the problem: I buy books, start them and then never finish them. It’s not for lack of inspiration or the book not being able to keep my interest – it’s that I let life get in the way! Well, no more friends! Each time I dive into a book and finish it I find myself brewing with ridiculous amounts of new ideas as well as feeling inspired and invigorated to do better and be better. Remembering this, I am going to be pushing myself to complete one book each month in the new year. And I am all about putting things out there for ultimate accountability so I am sharing with you my book list for 2018. Feel like jumping in with me?

January: Big Magic by Elizabeth Gilbert

February: How to Win Friends and Influence People by Dale Carnegie

March: Daring Greatly by Brene Brown

April: Awaken the Giant Within by Tony Robbins

May: Traction by Gino Wickman

June: Of Mess and Moxie by Jen Hatmaker

July: The Happiness Hypothesis by Jonathan Haidt

August: Grace, Not Perfection by Emily Ley

September: The Universe Has Your Back by Gabrielle Bernstein

October: The Big Moo by Seth Godin

November: Essentialism by Greg McKeown

December: Originals by Adam Grant

Some of these books will be re-reads for me. Why? Because I found them to be THAT helpful and inspiring. Some of these are brand new that I have had sitting and waiting for me to dive in. Either way, my goal is to fill my mind with inspiration and ideas in 2018. To make time for myself and personal development.

Leave a comment below if you would like to dive in with me and perhaps we should meet up on a Facebook Live session at the end of each month to discuss what lessons we learned and inspiration we walked away with. Our own virtual book club!

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

1. Pedita Hall

December 31st, 2017 at 5:26 pm

Hi Kara,

I’m keen, sounds like a great idea. I’m a sucker this book category too! Have you tried Goodreads? Great was to track you reading and set a yearly goal.

Pedita

2. Kara Layne

January 5th, 2018 at 12:08 am

Oooh, I have to check this out! Thank you for the recommendation, friend!

3. Aimee Brunson

January 1st, 2018 at 12:07 pm

I’m totally in.
    I have another virtual book club that uses google groups and the leader just posts questions that people can answer when they get the time.
    Could also use a facebook group to do the same thing.

4. Kara Layne

January 5th, 2018 at 12:08 am

Miss Aimee thank you so much for reading and for the idea! I am definitely considering a Facebook group so I will keep everyone updated on if that opens up so we have a place to chat 😉

5. Laura

January 2nd, 2018 at 7:55 pm

I am reading the Influence book by Carnegie now and getting SO many take aways. I would LOVE to discuss it with someone and truly wish we lived closer. I’ll be honest, Big Magic wasn’t what I had hoped for. I got a lot of repetitive “Ive written a well known book that you may have heard of”. I have a few of these on my list as well, but I’d love to discuss Carnegie’s book (although, doesn’t the name of it bother you a bit? Like, I don’t want to carry it in public and people see it).

6. Kara Layne

January 5th, 2018 at 12:07 am

My copy of the Carnegie book looks like it has been through a war. I have read that book over a dozen times because I find a renewed amount of patience and understanding with others when I do. Hahaha, I never thought about it, but the title doesn’t really make me worry. It’s such a well-known book and I think anyone who has taken the time to read it appreciates the value in the lessons he talks about. Can’t wait to chat with you more about it later this year!

7. Samantha

January 3rd, 2018 at 10:33 am

Reading more books is one of my goals for 2018 too! Right before I gave birth to my third kiddo, I got a huge itch to read (probably since I couldn’t move very much at the end of my pregnany haha) so I bought so many books but sadly never got around to reading them.

Big Magic has been sitting on my shelf for so long and I finally put it on my list to read this year. So excited to see it’s on your list as well!

One of my current favorites is Boundaries by Dr. Henry Cloud. It’s been huge in allowing me to overcome the guilt that comes with saying “no” to people. I haven’t finished it yet, but so far it’s been amazing! Looking forward to seeing all that you learn. ^_^

8. Kara Layne

January 5th, 2018 at 12:05 am

Oh man – that guilt of saying “no” is probably the biggest hurdle in my life. I have added his book to my notes and if I have extra time this year I want to try and get to it – thank you for the recommendation! And yes, Big Magic. It seriously was one of those books for me that just clicked. I read it last year and I knew I needed to re-read to begin this year which is why I chose it as my January book!

LOOKING FOR SOMETHING?